Reception - Firefly
Welcome to Firefly Class page!
In Firefly class we have lots of fantastic adults who help us! Miss Bowden, Miss Botham, Miss Smith and Mrs McGettigan love to get to know all the children and help them become fantastic members of Poplar Farm School! Learning new skills is so important in Reception, however, we do a lot of our learning through play! In Reception, the children can follow their own interests; topics are often catered to what the children like! Reception is a creative, fun and warm environment to explore and learn in. We focus on subjects such as Phonics, Literacy and Maths, as these are the fundamental areas of Early Learning.
As well as learning new educational skills, we work on becoming members of a new school community. We learn to form new friendships, be more independent, follow structures and routines and to let our big personalities shine!
Over the spring terms, we will be focusing our learning around the topic Superheroes. We will look at real life super heroes in the first half term, such as police and fire fighters; then fictional superheroes in the second half term. We will read lots of books to support our learning. Some of our key texts for this term will be: Ducktective Quack!, Pete the Cat, Superpotato and Super Daisy.
Now finally, here are a few pointers for things to run as smoothly as possible:
- Read, read and read! We love to encourage reading for a purpose and making reading enjoyable! Read signs, read labels, anything! If you have read one of your child’s reading books or they’ve read a bed time story, please fill in the reading records, I’d love to read your comments!
- We have PE on a Monday! So please make sure your child has their PE kit ready for those days, we keep all PE kits at school until the half term. Also, please try and wear trousers and socks on PE days, as tights are very tricky to change in and out of!!
- LABELS! Please label everything that belongs to your child.
- Please bring a water bottle to school as we refill and drink these throughout the day, but do not put drinks in reading folders! As it may leak and all paper will be ruined!
- Please also know that if I have any worries or concerns regarding your child, please be reassured that I will contact you straight away!
If there is anything you would like to talk to me about or ask me, please come and have a chat with me! I am only a phone call away!