In Phonics we use the scheme Read/Write Inc.
What is Read/Write Inc?
The Read Write Inc. Phonics approach teaches children to read sets of sounds and then blend them to read words.
The books that they read at school will only contain the sounds they’ve already learned, so children learn quickly and confidently.
First your child will learn to read: Set 1 Speed Sounds (sounds written with one letter): m a s d t i n p g o c k u b f e l h r j v y w z x and sounds written with two letters (your child will call these ‘special friends’): sh th ch qu ng nk ck Words containing these sounds, by sound-blending, e.g. m–a–t mat, c–a–t cat, g–o–t got, f–i–sh fish, s–p–o–t spot, b–e–s–t best, s–p–l–a–sh splash
At school, they will read Read Write Inc. PhonicsSound Blending Books and Red, Green and Purple Storybooks.
Whilst they are practising reading stories with words made up of Set 1 Speed Sounds, your child will also learn to read: Set 2 Speed Sounds: ay ee igh ow oo oo ar or air ir ou oy Words containing these sounds At school, they will read Read Write Inc. Phonics Pink, Orange and Yellow Storybooks.
Whilst they are practising reading stories with words made up of Set 1 and Set 2 Speed Sounds, your child will also learn to read: Set 3 Speed Sounds: ea oi a–e i–e o–e u–e aw are ur er ow ai oa er ire ear ure Words containing these sounds At school, they will read Read Write Inc. Phonics Blue and Grey Storybooks.
You will find a useful phonics audio guide to all these sounds on the Phonics made easy page.
It is really important to say the sounds clearly to help your child learn them. We say 'mmmm' not 'muh' and 'lllll' not 'luh' when teaching the sounds. This really helps children when they learn to blend sounds together to read words.
The link to the Phonics Made Easy page is: https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/reading/phonics-made-easy/#audio
In our Reception class all of our children:
- Read storybooks and non-fiction books closely matched to their developing phonic knowledge
- Take home Phonics storybooks to share
- Read with fluency and expression
- Learn to spell using known sounds
- Write confidently by practising what they want to write out loud first
- Work well with a partner.
By the end of Year 1 we aim to ensure that all of our children:
- Are accurate and speedy readers
Read Write Inc Phonics works because it:
- Makes learning to read focused and fun; we put as much joy into teaching the sound 'r' as we do into reading a story by Roald Dahl
- Uses picture mnemonics to teach all Reception children to read and write 30 sounds in two months
- Gives children storybooks matched to the sounds they know so they develop accuracy, speed and confidence
- Uses a unique 'three reads' approach to ensure that children love the story and can read it proudly with fluency and expression at home
- Provides the tools for your children to become confident writers: by the end of Year 1 children can write at length using exciting vocabulary and good spelling
- Picks up struggling readers and writers straight away with one-to-one tutoring - an effective use of pupil premium and pupil deprivation grant funding